A Message from the Learning Designed Team
Date: March 27th, 2020
All of us at Learning Designed are sending our best wishes during the ongoing uncertainty that our community is facing. The coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic is a complex challenge for everyone, especially those tasked with continuing education through remote and online learning.
In these unprecedented times, education leaders and educators need a way to rapidly support the deployment of remote and online learning to millions of students across the country and beyond. We recognize this complicates many areas:
- Families are struggling to process the impacts of the pandemic while supporting their kids learning at home, and facing issues such as access to computers, lack of internet access, bandwidth issues, and time constraints of working from home.
- Most educators have not taught and/or are not prepared to teach in remote and online settings.
- Many online education systems and district policies only serve a percentage of the overall student population, often leaving out many students and families who may not have adequate access to technology.
- Education leaders and educators often attempt to translate face-to-face practices to online settings rather than considering the differences between face-to-face and online settings.
- Many industry-based solutions are not prepared to support the basics of accessibility, let alone following best practices from the learning sciences, including providing multiple means of engagement, representation, and action/expression for learners.
Learning Designed is an online platform for professional development and collaboration that is based on the Universal Design for Learning (UDL) framework, endorsed by all major US education legislation. Educators are empowered to share best practices, access just-in-time resources, and creatively problem-solve to overcome the challenges facing education today. Your school or education organization can use Learning Designed as an online community forum for continuous improvement in practice. Email email@example.com to set up your customized community forum.
Learning Designed is open to anyone seeking high-quality resources for professional learning or credentials focused on UDL. Join the FREE community by creating your Learning Designed account today, and contact us to learn more about creating your own community forum and exploring ways of supporting your schools and education organizations.
The Learning Designed Team